Originally known as the Atari VCS, the console was released in October 1977, the name change taking place in 1982, following the release of the more advanced Atari 5200. The Atari 2600 is credited with popularizing the use of microprocessor based hardware and cartridges containing game code. Atari 2600 on wikipedia
Worth noting is it's recent appearance on ebay in an auction lot which includes...
- an Atari 2600 with the box and manuals,
- a stand that the system sits in, which can hold up to 32 games,
- a storage drawer that holds up to 12 games,
- 2 Atari joysticks,
- 1 paddle controller set (2 paddles),
- 2 driving controllers,
- an Atari Trak-Ball controller (appears to be new in an open box),
- and a set of Atari Remote Control Wireless Joysticks (also appears to be new in an open box).
Seller in US, ships only within the US
Well my job is done here, it now remains for you to decide, do you bid and save this retro orphan? or abandon it to the undeserving, where it will no doubt end up in a cold and loveless home, devoid of care and attention, missing the respect and gameplay it deserves..... if you'll excuse me, I think I have something in my eye!! sniff!
Atari 2600 plus 18 games on ebay.com