Thursday, September 9, 2010

GoldStar Portable CD-I Player

GoldStar Portable CD-I Player GPI-1200MMy first properly working PC was a Goldstar you know, but having sold it and its blazing fast 12Mhz processor off ages ago, I've been wanting a retro Goldstar gaming machine ever since. The amazing portable CD-i you see above would be quite nice, though I'm afraid I can't spare the required cash right now. If you, oh wise reader, on the other hand feel like spending that little bit extra on such an excellent retro rarity this GoldStar Portable CD-I Player GPI-1200M eBay auction is your chance. It's almost new, it is.

6 comments:

  1. Last year I had a chance to play this, uhm, "thing" for 15 minutes at videogameshistory here in Italy. A nice idea, the screen is quite good and clear, speakers are loud and the unit itself is really compact. Still, it's a Cdi, so there are really few interesting games...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right about them games, but we must admit there are quite a few interesting -let alone exclusive- ones. Also, there are more than a few early multimedia apps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting - I didn't even know they made a portable CD-i. I'm a bit of a console collector so I've always wanted a one even though the consensus seems to be that most of the games are weak. I don't expect the price on this to stay cheap enough for me to pull the trigger, but if it does I might just snarf it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well MadPlanet, they're weak as long as you don't care about laser games. But if you like 'em, CD-i should give you some funny hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cd-i has brought me nothing but pain and agony, but for some reason I'm still glad I own one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mik, I don't know if I would classify myself as a laser game fan or not but I'll try any game once. And I got a small batch of CD-i games from a guy about a year ago even though I still don't own the system. One of these days!

    ReplyDelete